People around the world are tuning into the 2016 Olympic Games, but it’s possible no state in our country will be more excited than Texas. Why? Because there are more than 30 athletes from the Lone Star State set to represent not just their country but their state as well.
Every athlete is worth keeping an eye on but we’re highlighting a few that we’ll be keeping an especially close eye on.
Fencing sisters Courtney and Kelly Hurley
Representing San Antonio, fencing sisters Courtney and Kelly Hurley competed in the London Olympics, earning bronze team medals. While it’s unusual enough for a pair of siblings to be competing together, the interest factor is boosted even higher when you consider that their parents were also top-level fencers.
Basketball legend Tamika Catchings
Born and raised in Dallas, recently married WBNA player Tamika Catchings will be playing her final games of professional basketball in Rio, as she plans to retire when the games are over. These will be her fourth Olympic games and she’s on the record for the first ever quintuple-double.
Swimmer Jimmy Feigen
It’ll be the second Olympics for Jimmy Feigen, who’s from San Antonio. He won a silver medal in 2012 as part of the 4×100 relay time and experts expect he’ll do well again. He’ll be participating in both the 100m race and the 50m freestyle race.
The full list of Olympians from Texas
- These are the other Texans who’ve earned their spot on the 2016 Olympic team:
- Mackenzie Brown – Flint, Texas – Archery
- Jimmy Butler – Houston, Texas – Basketball
- lBrittney Griner – Houston, Texas – Basketball
- DeAndre Jordan – Houston, Texas – Basketball
- Kassidy Cook – The Woodlands, Texas – Diving
- Clark Montgomery – Mineral Wells, Texas – Equestrian
- Stacy Lewis – The Woodlands, Texas – Golf
- Patrick Reed – Houston, Texas – Golf
- Simone Biles – Spring, Texas – Gymnastics
- Chris Brooks – Houston, Texas – Gymnastics
- Madison Kocian – Dallas, Texas – Gymnastics
- Keith Sanderson – San Antonio, Texas – Shooting
- Morgan Brian – Houston, Texas – Soccer
- Cammile Adams – Houston, Texas – Swimming
- Simone Manuel -Sugar Land, Texas – Swimming
- Katie Meili – Colleyville, Texas – Swimming
- Timothy Wang – Houston, Texas – Table Tennis
- Jackie Galloway – Wylie, Texas – Taekwondo
- Stephen Lambdin – Colleyville, Texas – Taekwondo
- Steven Lopez – Sugar Land, Texas – Taekwondo
- Paige McPherson – Sturgis, Texas -Taekwondo
- Brad Adkins – Idalou, Texas – Track and Field
- Michelle Carter – Ovilla, Texas – Track and Field
- Kerron Clement – Laporte, Texas – Track and Field
- Logan Cunningham – Smithson Valley, Texas – Track and Field
- Phyllis Francis – Bryan, Texas – Track and Field
- Jarrion Lawson -Texarkana, Texas – Track and Field
- Inika McPherson – Port Arthur, Texas – Track and Field
- Courtney Okolo – Carrollton, Texas – Track and Field
- Shelbi Vaughan – Weatherford, Texas – Track and Field
- Chrishuna Williams – Dallas, Texas – Track and Field
Which of these athletes are you most excited to see? At TeamLine, we’re always excited for the Olympics and these Texas athletes are sure to make us all proud.